A music post with a delicious rant-filled center

Last week I went out and purchased the new Dixie Chicks album, or I should rather say I went to iTunes and did it so my ass did not have to leave my chair because sometimes I'm really the ultimate sloth.

But I digress.

I bought the album, partly as a show of solidarity for them speaking their minds about whatever it is they feel. It is their right, guaranteed to them by The Constitution. Also I would like to point out that I also feel it is Toby Keith's right to say whatever he wants, unless it is calling someone who is exercising their GUARANTEED rights um-American. Because really that is just stupid and ignorant. He can say he doesn't like them, or their politics but I don't understand why not being for war, or disagreeing with the president suddenly makes you un-American. Frankly it is bullshit.

Again, I'm going to go off on a tangent for a moment. I'm not Toby Keith's biggest fan, and I'm sure a lot of people will think this is a stupid reason but here it is: In one of his bigger hits he sings about a snobby ass girl he went to high school with who wouldn't give him the time of day. In retaliation he wrote her name on the 50 yard line with the words 'for a good time call'. This set of words has always pissed me off more than you can imagine. What sort of childish asshole calls a girl a slut in such a public manner because she snubbed him (ok, a lot of people do this but it is WRONG). First of all I think it is bullshit that girls get called out for being sexual active and it is considered a stain on their reputation but men can do whatever the hell they please and not receive one whit of condemnation.

And yes, I realize it is a song and probably didn't happen. But in singing about it the way he does he condones the behavior.

Back to the Dixie Chicks.

The album is awesome. Really it is. First of all the single Not Ready to Make Nice is amazing, it is very touching and angry and epic (in my opinion). The violin (fiddle) work is just phenomenal. In Not Ready To Make Nice is soars and brings tears to my eyes. In other songs it so mimics Natalie Maines' voice that it practically is speaking.

I'm not a country fan, but this album is really great and I think other non-country fans would like it too.

And one last commentary.

Natalie Maines is not fat. I am so fucking sick of reading that on the web. She is going to look different standing next to two taller more wispy women. I get so angry that people see fit to judge other people's body types. We are nation of seriously fucked up women because it is OK to call someone fat and therefore dismiss them all together regardless of what talents they have. If you aren't thin and perfect you need to disappear. That is the message women everyday are getting, it fucks you up in the head. It makes me damn near violent when I hear someone say something about someone's weight.

People come in all different sizes and shapes. It doesn't mean they are less human, or not talented or unworthy of love.

Comments

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home