Spring babies

So here it is, I have an addiction. Rather, it is still in it's developmental stages, but I can quickly see it spiraling out of control until I am forced to sell my body on the street in order to keep myself well stocked with my drug of choice.

Seeds.

Yes, I've developed a heady addiction to the small tiny things from which plants and glorious herbs sprout. To most people this could be just seen as a hobby, but to date I've spent a good $60 on seeds.
I know that is a shocking amount to have spent on such little things that only cost $1.25 per package.

In my defense I've tried to grow things from seed before and really only had a good amount of success with basil, japanese eggplant and sage. This year, I'm attempting flowers for the first time and was experiencing some success earlier and then last week all of my strong little leafy babies died. Poof! dead.

Needless to say I got a little torqued up. I WILL NOT BE BROKEN BY SEEDS DAMNIT!

Clearly I have a green thumb, I can make lots and lots of things grow. And grow well. These are not exotic seeds, rather just your garden variety of coleus, lobelia, snow-in-summer, pansies, etc. This torqued up state resulted in me spending another $40 in Lowes buying more seed (even MORE than before) and more of those little magical expanding pellets (which remind me of those little pill shaped things you would get as a child that once put in water would expand into a fun farm animal-no? only me?). So I planted 180+ little pellets of seeds this weekend. I'm going with the strength in numbers, so if half die I still have half to plant.

Lets call it the Old Farm theory.

I'll let you know how it pans out.

For now, I'll console myself with my pretty tulips:



Comments

5 Comments:

  • At April 18, 2006 5:02 PM, Blogger Lis said…

    Hi there! I just noticed your loverly comments on my blog and I wanted to say thanks for reading and for the nice compliments! I'm curious to find out if you tried the carrot cake? =)

    Also.. are you still in Chardon?

    Nice "meeting" you! hehe

     
  • At April 19, 2006 9:13 AM, Blogger Skeezix said…

    Lis, I did not try your carrot cake. Mostly because I shun pinapple in carrot cake. I know that is totally weird but I'll give it a shot some other time- I made my standby carrot cake recipe for a party this time around.

    I am not still in Chardon, I moved to southern Ohio a couple of years ago, and here I stay.

     
  • At April 19, 2006 10:23 AM, Blogger Lis said…

    Ahh well I hope you went south enough to get away from the Cleveland winters =) When I commented yesterday I was at work at didn't get the chance to read your blog.. but I have today, very funny! And I so feel your pain about spending way too much on seeds.. I'm guilty of the same =)
    Have a great day!

     
  • At April 19, 2006 11:02 AM, Blogger Skeezix said…

    Actually I'm sure I'm one of the few people who don't mind the Cleveland winters. I love snow and am sad that I don't get enough of it here.

    I love Cleveland, just so long as I don't have to live there.

     
  • At April 19, 2006 4:46 PM, Blogger Marianne said…

    I hope this round goes well, S. I am a baby that doesn't start anything from seeds, not after The Radish Disaster.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home