Sunday Night Musical

I'm one of those people who really listen to lyrics, I realize this may sound like a completely ridiculous thing to say as most people tend to listen to lyrics. I tend to judge a song based on whether or not I like them (exception: Gym music. I don't give a care if your lyrics are total shit but if you have a good fast baseline to which I can run my little heart out to then you are ok.) But there are certain lyrics that tend to piss me off, 18 year olds singing about being rescued and never having to be alone for one. Seriously you are 18, you probably need to be alone a bit. Also songs about being cruel and mean (see: Toby Keith's How Do You Like Me Now?)

Another category: songs about cheating. Piss me off to no end. I can't explain it, I've never been cheated on (to my knowledge) or cheated on someone. Example Rihanna's Unfaithful:

And I know that he knows I'm unfaithful
And it kills him inside
To know that I am happy with some other guy
I can see him dying

I don't wanna do this anymore
I don't wanna be the reason why
Everytime I walk out the door
I see him die a little more inside
I don't wanna hurt him anymore
I don't wanna take away his life
I don't wanna be...
A murderer

Yeah, fuck you. You have two options A. STOP CHEATING or B. Leave your boyfriend. God. It's not that hard. Plus stop saying "murderer" all goddamn weird, it's bad enough that you mangled the word "umbrella" in your other song.

Then this weekend I was listening to the radio and they played Baby, baby, baby by TLC:

Long as you know that I could have any man I want to
Baby that's actual and factual
But still I choose you to be with me
And work on me so you better not flake it up

Oh holy jesus. Conceited much? Is that really something you should say to someone you supposedly love? Yes, I realize that I'm getting angry over a song that was popular in 1992. 17 years people, maybe I need help?

Labels: ,

Comments

3 Comments:

  • At March 10, 2009 10:41 AM, Blogger Lincoln said…

    Isn't "How Do You Like Me Now" okay because he's singing about a stupid girl who was mean to him at one time?

     
  • At March 10, 2009 4:40 PM, Blogger Skeezix said…

    From the lyrics, she didn't like him back so he wrote her name and number on the high school football field with the words "for a good time call"

    God, what woman isn't totally won over by the fact that you called her a whore in front of the whole school and community? I know I would be.

    It was after that lovely stunt that she made fun of him.

     
  • At March 10, 2009 11:52 PM, Blogger Shannon Erin said…

    This is why I try not to listen to lyrics from the pop crowd too closely.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home