Bits

Ok, I love the song New York Minute by Don Henley (and a bunch of other guys). But listening to it makes me wonder what the hell is so special about a New York Minute. Is is faster or slower? WHAT? Isn't the amount of time in a minute universal (unless you are in space which I think time is measured differently or is that only on other planets? Am I completely making shit up now? Probably.)


Speaking of time, I'm still having a bit of a rough go of adjusting to working part time in addition to working full time. In addition to training for a triathlon. But after tomorrow I have a whole week off or so and I'm going to spend every breathing minute in the gym. Or riding my bike. Except for Thursday afternoon during which I'll be getting a massage. A much needed massage as my stupid back decided that it would be a good time to freak the fuck out. I slept horribly waking every hour or so in pain, not including the awesomely weird dreams that I had that I was training to climb Mount Everest (a direct result of reading Into Thin Air before bed. Seriously go get this book and read it. It's amazing.)


I went to gym once last week. ONCE. I was so messed in the head with the sinus issues that I could barely think straight and running or any physical activity made me want to die. But this week is off to a much better start, I ran last night for 35 minutes (2 minute warm up) and clocked in 2.9 miles. 3.2 miles with the cool down. I'm mightily impressed with myself and at some point when I stop being amazed that I can run any sort of distance I'm sure I'll shut the hell up about it. But until then I'm going to talk about it until everyone wants to beat me to death with their keyboards or break my feet thus rendering me unable to run ever again.

Lets hit up the way back machine and discuss running- college style. We've already covered why I started and why I stopped running college but I've not touched on the awesomely embarrassing thing that I did while running one time. Lets be honest, I'm of average height (5'4") and possess a curvy figure albeit one that can be athletic and strong. So at the start of my running in college I was strictly a treadmill sort of person and we went early in the morning (7am is EARLY for college people, ok.) One morning and very tall and lovely European student got on the treadmill next to me. She was everything I'm not, TALL and lithe and blond. Whereas I'm short and a wee bit stocky and dark.

Never in a million years could I ever hope to keep up with her gazelle-like stride or pace but I was holding my own slow even canter (yes, canter like a horse or whatever). I have this thing where I HATE, with the fire of a thousand suns, being able to see the time click by on the onscreen display. It makes me crazy because time seems to move so much slower that way. So I toss my little gym towel over it so I can't see it. At some point about 15 minutes in the towel falls off and slips by my feet on the treadmill. Here is where things break down.

Not thinking AT ALL, I come to a dead stop on the treadmill while the damn belt is still running. This shoots me off the back of the treadmill like a rocket and into the wall behind me. Glorious, no? I'm alternately laughing and crying a little bit and the Blond Gazelle next to me stops running and rushes over to make sure I'm ok. I am, just horribly embarrassed.

Aannnd Scene!

Labels: , ,

Comments

6 Comments:

  • At June 24, 2008 7:12 PM, Blogger Hillary said…

    At least she didn't laugh at you!

     
  • At June 24, 2008 10:00 PM, Blogger Lincoln said…

    That treadmill story is simply awesome.

     
  • At June 25, 2008 9:47 AM, Blogger Mary said…

    Into Thin Air is one of my favorites! Yay!!!

     
  • At June 26, 2008 4:06 AM, Blogger Shannon Erin said…

    Awesome.

    Congrats on the running!

     
  • At June 29, 2008 8:08 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    ha- that made me laugh so hard!

    And yes- nice job on the running. I've been thinking about running, but everytime i run for more than a minute my shins feel like they will break in half...ughhh. If you have the solution for that please let me know!

     
  • At July 05, 2008 11:39 AM, Blogger LE said…

    A boyfriend of mine broke his collarbone on a treadmill when someone came up to him, broke his concentration by complaining he'd been on there too long, and he lost his footing.

    Those suckers are dangerous!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home