Pathetic ride, it freaks me out

I've been training for this triathlon for 6 months. I probably started entirely too soon, but I wasn't in the best of shape last year so I knew I had a long way to go.

But now I'm burnt out. Mentally fatigued from all the training. My heart isn't in it anymore.

According to my dad, runner of many marathons, this is entirely common. He told me to take a week off and relax. No more than a week though, and I'll feel refreshed and ready to go the last 6 weeks before competition.

Which is good because after my ride last night I was in tears. I hated every single minute of it. And really, it was pathetically short because I just couldn't bring myself to do it. 7 miles is woefully short compared to the 20-25 miles I had been averaging of late.

Even my new totally awesome bike shorts from Pearl Izumi (recommended by the lovely Amblus ) failed to motivate me onward. But those 7 miles were the most comfortable I've ever ridden, the extra padding on the crotch and backside really is amazing- off the bike you feel like you are wearing the world's largest maxi pad but on the bike it is heaven.

So here I am, taking a break. I've got no fucking idea what do with all this time I now have on my hands, it is almost like I've lost the will to be lazy.

Labels: , ,

Comments

3 Comments:

  • At June 06, 2007 3:20 PM, Blogger Mary said…

    I think your dad is right- do soemthing completely different for a week- get some roller blades, hike a state park, or just walk thru your neighborhood (even if it's just to a bar). I guess maybe by giving yourself permission to relax, you'll feel rejuvinated...good luck!

     
  • At June 06, 2007 11:27 PM, Blogger Sarah said…

    Skeezix! They're bringing back Jericho! Did you hear?

    http://www.eonline.com/news/article/index.jsp?uuid=1d118607-738d-4471-9278-1807ac88f4ab

    I'M FREAKING OUT!! Freak out with me, won't you?

     
  • At June 07, 2007 2:57 PM, Blogger Amblus said…

    There's something in the air, I swear. Absolutely take a week off and do other things. It's hard to relax, but you need to take a break now and then! It'll be better when you go back, I promise.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home