Of course you are.

I heard that phrase repeatedly last weekend at my high school reunion in regards to what I do for a living. It came from people who didn't know me very well as well as the people who did. Guess I was pretty ubiquitous with the camera even back in high school. 15+ year love affair one could say.

To be completely honest I had a good time in high school, it was fun and I floated about somewhere in the middle of everyone. Friends with all with only a couple nemesises. It was not the time of my life and there are things I wished I done differently (like why was I hung up on my high school sweetheart and not dating all the wickedly cute boys that went to my school), but unlike (ahem) someone who declared if she could go back and re-live any school year it would be senior year. Me, no fucking thanks. I'll take college any day. Beer, friends and living without the watchful gaze of parents beats out the crap of SATs, curfews and general stupidity.

10 years later it was surprising how much everyone still looked for the most part like what they did in high school. There were only a few people I didn't recognized off the bat, and of course those bastards weren't wearing name tags. Douches.

There were two people who ended up marrying each other and that pretty much floored me. I guess I never expected two people to meet in high school and marry post-college, it feels entirely too much like something out of the 1960's. Then again perhaps I should be seeing the sweetness about meeting your love so early on, but really then I think about all those great experiences that come with drunkenly kissing someone who is totally wrong for you but so.freaking.hot that I don't think I would want to have met someone when I was 14.

Of course later in the evening I was standing next to a friend of mine snarking heavily about the door prizes which included a t-shirt with our mascot printed massively on the back (it seriously covers the whole back of the damn shirt). Just as I was ramping up for another snark filled rant they called my name. That's right, I'd won the hilarious t-shirt that LOUDLY proclaimed my awesomeness as an alumni. You bet your sweet ass I wore it to the gym this week, if only because it cracked me up. I'm absolutely positive no one else in my gym got that I was trying to be funny but I did, they probably just assumed I was a wanker. Which considering I wear the old style of headphones and not the cool earbuds (they hurt my ears) probably only reinforces their opinion of me as probably a dork.

Labels: , ,

Comments

3 Comments:

  • At December 08, 2008 6:55 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Good for you for going!I've never been to a reunion...glad you had a good time :) I also married the guy I dated in high school after college (but we didn't date in college)...hhehehe...all the sweetness, with none of the regrets- yes!

     
  • At December 11, 2008 5:53 PM, Blogger Lincoln said…

    I'm with you on the ear buds. I hate those little sonsabitches. Glad you went to the reunion.

     
  • At December 12, 2008 1:54 PM, Blogger orangek8 said…

    I love old-style headphones. That's all I wore forever, but I just now have my first pair of earbuds that don't suck, I bought them at TJ Maxx only because they were hot pink. Lucky me, somehow they are actually comfortable!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home