Pie Weekend

Yes, I'm talking about food again. I should be writing a post about Kate's birthday and how we enjoyed copious amounts of alcohol on Tuesday night plus watched some of them do karaoke, but I'll save that because there is video- which I've not uploaded yet. On to the pie...

Something about my family never allows us to do things in a small, normal way in regards to cooking. Perhaps the Irish genes embedded deep inside of us remind us of the famine and thusly cause us to make more food than is possible to consume. I have memories growing up of my mom making enough cookies to keep a family of 6 fed for months, pies were not made by the single or even double rather 5 to 6 pies at a time. Granted we do like to eat, but mostly things ended up in the freezer for later. Nothing like having a randomly shitty Wednesday and your mom being able to pull one of her amazing homemade pies from the freezer. An hour or so later things didn't look so awful because really, pie makes everything better.

Of course I am the exact same way, just a few months ago I was making cooking for my nephew. Why double a recipe when you can quadruple it? Yeah, 7+lbs of cookies is overkill but I didn't hear any complaining.

This week my mom sent me a box of crack apples from a Sage's farm in my hometown. There are no apples that can compare to these, they are spicy and tart and perfect. There is a different apple farm in the area, do not be fooled by them. Their apples suck, their pies aren't homemade (they tell the people in the bakery to lie to you- trust me I worked there), and they pay poor teenagers crap wages. So anyways, heroine apples- my mom didn't take her usual precautions with packaging and they arrived slightly bruised and battered needing to be consumed quickly. I can totally put away 4 or more apples a day, but there were way more than I could eat before spoilage set in.

That's right, it is apple pie time. Oh, and because I've been craving french silk pie I decided to make that too. What? Too much pie for a single person. Yes. Who cares. If you are already in the pie making mode, make a lot. Ahem, which is why I ended up with 3 batches of 2 crust pie doughs. Hell yeah.

First up, Saturday's apple pie. Spicy and good, although a little soft about the middle considering the apples weren't as firm as Mom recommends.











Then on Sunday I made the French Silk pie, my brother's favorite. I've briefly considered sending him a photo via email, but that seems a bit torturous considering he's in Afghanistan and won't be getting pie like this for a loooong time. I'm not cruel. I used a stabilized whipped cream frosting on top because nothing spoils a pie like a weepy whipped cream frosting ruining all that delicious crust.











Tomorrow I suspect my office mates will be quite happy, I plan on taking the leftovers in. Because I've had several slices of each at this point and am about to enter a pie coma.

*I am massively annoyed that I can only do one photo in the middle at a time, sorry for it looking a little long and janky.

Labels: , ,

Comments

4 Comments:

  • At September 29, 2008 4:41 PM, Blogger Hillary said…

    how do you flute your pie crusts so gorgeously?

    also, seeing as you are a pie expert - when you make peach pie, do you take the skins off or leave them on?

     
  • At September 29, 2008 10:43 PM, Blogger Lincoln said…

    If I move to your neck of the woods will you cook for me?

     
  • At September 30, 2008 8:37 PM, Blogger Skeezix said…

    Hillary, I'll try to do a photo essay on my crimping technique.

    Lincoln, of course. You will instantly gain 10lbs though so be forewarned.

     
  • At October 20, 2008 6:07 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hot dayum! I love me some pie. French silk used to be my favorite. So silky, so blissful. Now I have a cardamom apple with caramel sauce, but it's time to branch out. I'm making pumpkin pie for the first time ever, and of course it involves roasting pumpkin first. You know I never do anything the freaking easy way.

    Why don't you come over, and I'll make tea and then we'll eat pie until we pop? Then goddammit, we'll eat more pie.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home