Living alone

First off I need to wish my sister a very happy birthday. I love you dearly and hope you get your wish of James' football team kicking the Colts asses (you are such a sports-mom). Eat some of that delicious bread pudding from the restaurant tonight for me, ok?

On with the regular post, there are just so many things I've discovered about living alone that I like, I knew deep down I would love it and really, it's pretty damn awesome. I've been composing a list of things that I love the most, goddamnit, can I say love one more time? Ptthh.

That no one minds if I decide that I want to make pickled okra at 10:30 on a Saturday night while wearing my nightgown.

I love that when I come home from work I can take off my pants just because I can. I'm quickly becoming accustomed to not having to wear pants at home, at first it was just taking off the bra but I've moved onto my pants. Fuck, does this mean I'm just a few articles of clothing from becoming "that naked person". Do other people so freely walk around sans pants (or sans clothes?), is this a phenomenon I've been missing out on my whole life because I've always had roommates? Please inform me if this is case, that way I can shed some of my guilt at loving the pantlessness.

An aside: Sans pants the other day (but wearing girl boxers) I almost ran out to the garage to grab some more paper towels. Everything was covered and I started to dash out the door and stopped. Why, because there was a funeral going on next door (I live next to a funeral home) and I didn't think people in mourning need to see me without my pants on- they've clearly got enough grief in their life. Although they may have thought it hilarious, perhaps I should have.

No roommate silently judges me when I have just beer for dinner. Listen, it's chocolate stout so it's totally like a food, ok?

I can have parties and not have to clear it with anyone else or wait till the students are gone on holiday. Also I don't have to explain my odd living situation or have a bunch of college aged girls press me for answers to whether or not I let boys stay over in my room or if I drink or if I have friends. (I cannot explain enough the joy I have that I am no longer a sorority house mother.)

I love that I come home to silence, unless I change it. I love that it wasn't hard at all to live without cable or internet for 3 months, and it opened my eyes to how much TV I had previously been vegging out to.

It's great to have friends over any time and sit on my patio drinking wine and talking until the sun sets.

I hate that my landlord has already asked me to sign a contract for 2008-2009, and I'm supposed to make that decision today. I love my place but I can't commit to living in Athens until June of 2009. I just can't, I know I'm going to move on at some point so there is no point really in completely screwing myself and being stuck paying rent on a place I'm not living in (there is no lease breaking in this town). If anything this is going to keep the heat on for me to press on in the job search.

Labels:

Comments

4 Comments:

  • At September 07, 2007 12:14 PM, Blogger Unknown said…

    I'm a total sans pants person. I frequently lounge around wearing boy shorts and a beater. It's liberating, isn't it? And you can walk around after your shower completely naked and no one will care.

     
  • At September 07, 2007 12:21 PM, Blogger orangek8 said…

    I LOVE wearing no pants! I do have a roommate now, but he is my boyfriend so it's cool. Whenever I say "I think I am going to take off my pants," he says, "PLEASE!"

    Chocolate Stout totally counts as dinner.

     
  • At September 09, 2007 6:05 PM, Blogger kellie said…

    hi - newbie reader - had to comment - totally pants free here! oversized t-shirts and panties. I sleep in the bare now and like urban princess said - you can shower and do as you like!

     
  • At September 10, 2007 1:50 PM, Blogger Ian said…

    Beer is like liquid bread - it's good for you...

     

Post a Comment

<< Home