Pizzettes with Caramelized Onions, Goat Cheese, and Prosciutto

Last week for the finale of Project Runway I decided to have some friends over to watch. That way I wouldn't be screaming and throwing things at my television by myself, rather I'd have others around who would be doing the same thing. The thing I was not counting on was accidentally possibly overmedicating myself earlier in the day which resulted in a 3 hour nap at home. Drugs are not fun. Drugs can go to hell. Go to hell I say.

I wanted to do something fancy for the finale, since I felt it was a good time to try a new recipe that I'd seen Giada DeLaurentis (little big head) make. It seemed fairly easy and the most time consuming part of it was caramelizing the onions, which took an hour and a half. But no worry, I downloaded an episode of Jericho and watched the ever so dreamy Skeet Ulrich save the town several times while the onions cooked down. I did this on tuesday night so that I just had to re-heat them on Wednesday and assemble the little rounds to pop into the oven.

I took Giada's advice and purchase a ball of dough from my local pizza shop for $2. Which is a great bargain, in my opinion. I'm a fan of their pizzas but I do find their crust a bit thick and americanized, I prefer a thinner more italian crust on my pizzas.

When it was all said and done, I wasn't impressed with the results. Dont' get me wrong they were fine but something about it was just off. Missing something maybe? I honestly cannot put my finger on it and frankly I doubt I'll be trying this recipe again to figure out where it went off the rails. My guests seem to enjoy them, but there weren't over raves over them. Which is my number one requirement in cooking. I feel there is no need to eat so-so food in life, there are too many good recipes out there to do that.

Unfortunately Jeffery won, he wasn't my favorite. It was a bit of a disappointing night overall for me.

I rebounded later in the week with some comfort food recipes that always warm the cockles of my heart.

Pizzettes with Caramelized Onions, Goat Cheese, and Prosciutto
Giada De Laurentiis

3 tablespoons olive oil
3 large onions, sliced (about 4 cups)
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1 teaspoon herbs de Provence
1 teaspoon sugar (I omitted this because I don't think that sugar is needed to caramelize onions)
1 ball purchased pizza dough (about 12 to 16 ounces)
3 ounces goat cheese, crumbled (about 1/2 cup)
2 to 3 ounces prosciutto (about 5 large slices), cut into 2 by 2-inch pieces
Parsley or rosemary sprigs, for garnish
Special equipment: 2 1/2-inch round cookie cutter

In a large, heavy skillet, heat the oil over low heat. Add the onions, salt, pepper, herbs de Provence, and sugar. Stir to combine. Continue cooking over very low heat, stirring occasionally, until the onions are caramelized and dark golden brown, about 1 hour and 45 minutes.
Preheat the oven to 475 degrees F.
Roll out the pizza dough into a 1/4-inch-thick round. Using the cookie cutter, cut out 24 dough circles. Arrange the circles on a large heavy baking sheet. Place a small spoonful of the caramelized onions on each dough circle. Top with a small amount of goat cheese. Bake until golden and bubbly, about 10 minutes.
While still hot, top each pizzette with a piece of prosciutto. Arrange on a serving platter and garnish with sprigs of parsley or rosemary. Serve immediately.

Comments

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home