Sound of Silence

I enjoy the quiet. A quiet house with no background television noise, radio or ringing phone. Sometimes it is wonderful just to sit in silence.

Unfortunately that doesn't often happen living where I do, there is always some sort of noise. Someone overhead cranking the radio in the shower because god forbid if they aren't entertained every moment. People talking in the hallway, the television blaring in the common room even though there isn't a single person in it, and I could go on and on.

I have a cell phone. I love it. But if I'm out to dinner/drinks with friends I won't answer it. Unless it is my mom, and then I tell her I'll call her back later. My mother has been known to freak out on occasion thinking that I'm dead on the side of the road killed by the latest serial killer de jur if I don't answer my phone. It is just easier to answer it when she calls than have a SWAT team bust up a lovely party you are at because they heard you were missing.

And it isn't just my mom, my dad does it too. He once heard that someone fell off a cliff in California and was completely convinced it was my sister because she wasn't answering her phone. I guess they have perpetual paranoia that something bad is going to happen to their children, I wonder if this is true for all parents or if my are especially neurotic?

But I digress, I don't answer the cell all the time. The constant contact we can have with people today is more than a little disconcerting.

And while I'm at it, I hate ring-tones. I don't need to hear the latest Pussycat Dolls or some other shit every time a phone rings.

Comments

2 Comments:

  • At September 27, 2006 5:54 PM, Blogger Ian said…

    Yeah, silence IS golden. Or at least silvery (or is it silverish?). I ride the streetcar to and from work, and all I want to do is sit quietly and read my book, yet there's always some yahoo on his crackberry loudly conducting a business meeting from two seats behind me. rrrrr. And moving seats is no good, because then the thirteen-year-old chick with the flourescent pick cell phone gets on and starts talking to one of her little friends about how "Darren really looked hot at the party last night and I could totally kill Kim for narcing on me to her mom..." Whew. Kinda lost the cool there for a second.

    Anyway, hope all is quiet where you are now.

     
  • At September 29, 2006 9:05 AM, Blogger Skeezix said…

    Isn't it amazing? I was at the airport this weekend and the number of conversations of a supremely personal nature that I overheard were astounding. I know now that the woman with frizzy hair and big nose was in New York to have a plastic surgeon look at her nose. And that he told her she had great skin (liar! she looked a bit like a leather handbag.) She was sitting on the other side of the room, yet I could hear every single word.

    I was most impressed by the few business travelers who managed to have quiet conversations and one who even covered his mouth area so as to muffle the sound a bit more.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home